You are about to close the deal on one of the most important investments of your life. Now you have found the perfect property, your next step is to make sure that everything is in order before you proceed with your purchase or rental.
In order to be certain that your property is in good condition and has no current legal or tax issues, you need to carry out a number of checks.
Essential property checklist:
- Verify who is the owner of the property and that there no outstanding debts against it by requesting request a Nota Simple in the Registro de la Propiedad.
- Find out if the property is affected by any urban development by consulting the local town planning department.
- Ask the administrator for the homeowners’ association (Comunidad de Propietarios) for a certificate stating that the apartment or premises is up to date with community or other charges.
- Ensure that all utility supplies (water, electricity, gas) are contracted and that installations are in line with the latest standards.
- Make sure that a house or apartment has a current cédula de habitabilidad (Certificate of Habitability) and that an Energy Performance Certificate has been issued for the property.
- Carry out a thorough survey of the property: structural, exterior, installations, and features to ensure that there are no underlying issues.
- Check through the ITE of the building (if one is available) and verify the condition of areas that are communal responsibility such as roofs, facades and installations.
Finally, before you go ahead and exchange contracts, you must have any loans and financing firmly. If you are applying for a mortgage, you need to have this arranged BEFORE you make any payment towards the property.
For further information about our services, please get in touch.
Our experienced technical and legal team can carry out all the necessary checks to give you peace of mind before you buy.